The Warrior Daily

The Student News Site of Somerset Academy of Central Miramar

The Warrior Daily

The Warrior Daily

Success! The Marva Collins Approach (1981)

Beth Czeskleba

This documentary is about an educational advocate, Marva Collins, who realized that the traditional schools singled out young colored children. These schools treated some students as if they couldn’t learn or had no ability to. They were not motivating and effectively teaching students, again more specifically poor colored

students. This led her to open her own school, Westside Preparatory school. To start it off, she took $5,000 to start up the private school with specialized instructional structure and codes of conduct. The school was stationed in the less fortunate community of students. She invited all groups of students, though. Her driving force was that she deeply believed that if the right nurturing and connective environment was introduced to these kids as well as the appropriate material, they could be great. I really enjoyed watching this documentary because it made me more inspired to pursue a career in education. The love and pure dedication she had towards the kids touched me. I want to be that type of educator, one that does not belittle ANY child but pours in to them enough to the point where they themselves have faith that they can persevere. Her motto she instilled in the kids that I will be sure to share with my future students says, “People predict, I determine”. Throughout the video this saying is constantly repeated by the students and by their facial expressions, body language, and even tone of voice shows that they themselves believe they are worthy of success.

Donate to The Warrior Daily

Your donation will support the student journalists of Somerset Academy of Central Miramar. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Warrior Daily